Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day Three--Blackwork Extravaganza

Happy Valentine's Day, Intense Pattern. Today was a food day. We are all nurturers and so most of us brought food. It was Marie's birthday and the most scrumptious birthday/valentine cake for her with pink butter cream filling & frosting and cherries on it was made by Anna. There were heart cookies, giant strawberries with a whipped cream dip, a heart-shaped peanut butter /chocolate pie or candy or whatever that was made in heaven by Bert. I brought Hershey kisses because everyone needs chocolate. Both Jane and Bert had stuff there for lunches too, so we had chicken salad, broccoli salad, and avocado & grapefruit salad, plus crackers, breads, coffee and tea. I have told Jane that if Mike ever leaves me I am going to move in with her.

We again started the day on time with most of the students arriving before the teacher. I would almost be embarrassed but I have a chauffeur (Mike) and we have a passenger. Sometimes we cannot all coordinate as well as I would like. We started the morning going over the concepts that have more to do with overall design rather than just with designing the patterns. We did tessellations, random patterns versus strictly counted patterns, and spot motifs.

Tomorrow we start with actually designing a piece of blackwork. I have assured people that we are just going to design work, not actually stitch it--unless they want to. This has calmed fears considerably, which is amazing to me. Even the most stalwart non-designers among us are taking this designing idea and taking it very well. Everyone was able to do all of the exercises today--even though they technically become harder and harder. There was barely a wail heard today. I just explained to them what to do and then they did it! It was wonderful. They were so good today.

Most of the day was spent very quietly in the classroom (Jane's dining room). People were completely absorbed in designing tessellations and then in designing a dozen original patterns. This was hard work. We needed all the valentine goodies that came our way.

One more day. I am sure the enthusiasm will stay with us. I will make sure it does.

No comments: